Is otitis media caused by obstructive tear duct ?

My 5 year old son has Otitis Media. Does this have something to do with him having an obstructive tear duct?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Mar 2011
hello and welcome to healthcare magic!!
No the tear duct is not connected to the middle ear, the two conditions are seperate. otitis media could be due to recurrent throat infections as the ear is connected to the throat through the eustachian tube.
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
1. Otitis media may be caused by an obstructed Eustachian Tube which connects the middle ear to the nasopharynx.
2. A 5 year old child may also have Adenoid Hypertrophy which may also lead to infection travelling to the middle ear via the Eustachian Tube giving rise to otitis media. The Adenoids are a collection of lymphoid tissue (like the tonsils) situated in the nasopharynx (behind the nose) in between the openings of the Eustachian Tube.
3. Otitis media is a common problem in childhood.