Is it advisable to start workout regime after a gunshot in leg ?

Hey Doc, I am a 25 yr old male (previously in great health) with only a minor meniscus surgery , that has not caused any surgery. Now about 6 months ago I was shot in the back, which severed a nerve resulting in the numbing and inability of using the lateral side of my left foot and the majority of my right leg; the bullet is lodged between my L4 and L5 vertebrae and the doctor said the muscle would grow back around it without a problem. Now I have regained 99% of feeling in my leg and about 85% in my foot. However I suffer from muscle spasms which are presenting themselves on the backside of my right leg and heel , as well as a intermittent back pain near the entry. I was cleared about 3 months ago (after 2 months of physical therapy , b/c of great progress) to go ahead and start working out again, however I ran too hard 1X, which brought me back to where I am presently. I am on Gabapentin (1200mg 4X a day) which has minimized and/or dealing with the recurring spasms, and Aleve for any back pain I can t handle (which is rare). I am very determined and eager to start working out (my doctor has approved and suggests low-impact and no crunches) since I lost 45+ lbs mostly of which is muscle mass , however I am wondering where to start and what exercises I can do...specifically for my legs, arms, chest and back. Thank you very much for whatever wisdom you can share.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Apr 2011