Is childbirth really painful ?

Recently I read an article that intimated women overplay the pain to get pampering and sympathy which surprised me. Is there any truth in this?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Dec 2009
oh ya- not much like it !!!! it is a shame men can not experience this so they could understand their wives better - they should feel exactly what a woman has to go through in order to understand it thoroughly. It's REALLY tough but it goes straight once the bundle is out. Trust me, Dave it's agony - I think the only thing that keeps us alive that particular time is the fact that u know why u r having that pain and also u can't wait to see the little treasure come out to see it's all in good order and also u want to see that little face that's been rumbling inside you for 9 months . Once that's that it's all nearly forgotten and u r ready for the next one ! ha - no way- just kidding- it is a trauma to only talk about the labour for about 1 month after that. we put ourselves through quite a lot , but we don't actually know it until we've actually been through it.