Irritation and itching in labia lips and vaginal hole after using super tampons. Is this due to tampon ?

Hello. This month when I got my period I went and bought super tampons and a different brand too. I have never used super tampons before anyway I noticed my labia lips and my vaginal hole were getting a little irritated and itchy but I ignored it because it wasn t that bad or too severe looking. Then yesterday my period ends and I have sex with my boyfriend [using a condom of course]. I came home and went to bed. Then in the morning my lips are super itchy and I just rubbed it a little and now my labia lips are very swollen, like huge and they re sore. Could this be because of the tampon ?
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
As you have described that symptoms of itchiness and swelling were more after using tampons thus it is obvious that they could be due to them.
This may be an allergic response to some allergen in the tampon.
Please discontinue its use and observe for a few days.
You can take an antihistaminic as well.
If the symptoms are over after discontinuing the use of the tampons then the cause is very obvious.
If it does not then you need to consult your gynaecologist.
Also as a precaution avoid sexual contact for the time the symptoms are not relieved as it may aggravate the symptoms.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal