Irregular periods, had continuous mid-cycle bleeding, prescribed Trapic MF, advised Trans- vaginal sonography. Is the medicine and TVS required?

I am 29 years old and suffering from irregular periods.My LMP was on 15th Mar, 2012 and then slowed down by 23rd Mar, 2012 but continued till 28th Mar, 2012 with spots and clots. Again it started slight bleeding from 6th April, 2012. This frightened me and I consulted a gynaecologist . He prescribed Trapic MF, but suggested to take it by SOS, if I continue bleeding. Though I m not having heavy bleeding till today i.e. 8th April , 2012, I m still having it in dry form and slight bleeding. I took 1 tablet in the morning. The doctor also suggested Trans- vaginal sonography(TVS) and some blood tests once I ve fresh periods. .I m married now for 1year, 3months and wish to conceive by next year. My question is is the tablet safe for me, is TVS required and how safe is it for me as yet I do not have any baby. Please help, I m in a dilemma.
Asked On : Wed, 11 Apr 2012
Mar 2013
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Regarding irregular cycles, it should definitely be investigated.
If not investigated and properly treated, it can lead to issues in your overall health and specifically for conception .
I suspect you would be having PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is a condition of basic hormonal imbalance - the ovary is studded with multiple follicles ( resembling cysts ). None of these follicles mature to form an egg, so ovulation is unpredictable, and cycles are irregular. Apart from oral contraceptive hormonal pills ( like Lutera ) other medications can be taken to control PCOS. These include Metformin, which will help to regulate cycles. Also, if you are overweight, try and lose weight, it will also have a positive impact on your cycles.
A proper workup for irregular cycles is necessary.
This will include a thorough internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum. Also a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan, and hormonal tests - FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, Lipid Profile.
TVS is absolutely safe and ultrasound involves no radiation.
Also, Trapid MF is a safe drug for you.
All the best.