Iron rod used to treat epilepsy

I saw some moves showing iron rod used to treat epilepsy . is it true
Asked On : Wed, 9 Mar 2011
hello and welcome to healthcare magic.
dear what they show in the movies is completely untrue.
epilepsy can only be treated with regular anti epileptic therapy.
and a person having a seizure should be moved to an open space and crowding in the area should be strictly avoided and efforts to hold the person having a seizure should not be done since it might lead to injuries and you should only try to make the person comfortable and safe from getting hurt from surroundings. no liquid or solid food should be given immediately after a seizure since there are chances of aspiration.
take care.
Neurologist Dr. Shiva Kumar R's  Response
Thanks for using healthcaremagic. No beating aroung the bush. Usually epilepsy lasts for 30-40 seconds. So by the time some one brings the key or iron rod to you and keep it in your hands it will be 30-40 seconds and hence feel that it stopped it. If you dont give these things also they stop. I hope you got the scientific answer to this problem. Bye

Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
Hi Thaya!
All these things are dangerous and not to be done.Epilepsy should be treated with proper anti epileptics under medical supervision only.
Epilepsy is a disease which should be treated both with Anti Epileptic Drugs and also with Anti Psychotic products depending on the patient's acceptability after due assessment. Patient's should be taught to meditate as this will eliminate the increased tension on the nerves.
As anti epileptic drugs have some serious side effects, so a close monitor on the Physiological parameters should be done at regular intervals, and drug titration should be done to avoid unnecessary hazards on the patients.
Anti Psychotic drugs help to restore the Mental balance of the patient which in many a times get disturbed after the seizures.
Nowadays epilepsy is curable with good drug support and close monitor.
For further assistance you may contact at sanjibkumar4life@yahoo.com for support and advice.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.