Intolerant to loud noises, increased anxiety in areas of poor acoustics, use ear plugs to avoid irritation. How can I resist this?

I am 47, very active. I have become almost intolerant of loud restaurants, gymnasiums, and any room with poor acoustics like a large foyer that echos. I also prefer to drive with no sound, radio, etc., and I get a little anxious in areas with loud noices. I don t like this problem. I often wear ear plug to avoid this irritation. I have always loved entertaining and being with children but fear this will only increase and make me resist situations with loudness. terry
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your problem description. I suggest you not to worry too much. Such problems are common worrying about it increases the stress associated with it. You are able to tackle it successfully and that itself is motivating. Good job.

Your description underlines the fact that you are Hypersensitive to loud noise. This could be anxiety related (related to development) or a health condition named Hyperacusis.

Proper diagnosis is important. Developmental disorders can be treated with behavior therapy and desensitization therapy. Consult a physician for proper diagnosis.

Hope this clears your doubts. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.