Intense pain on lower left of body spreading to front of abdomen, relieves with passing gas. What could it be?

I had an intense pain in my lower left hand side of my body which spread across the front of my abdoment. this pain was sparodic (if I ve spelt it right). the pain is not so intense but I have a niggling pain on my left hand side as if something is swollen. It feels as though it will be relieved if I pass wind. this niggling travelled round to my back area also. What could it be?
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012
Hello. I'm sorry you've been uncomfortable. It would help to have a bit more information here -- specifically your age and gender -- as some of the problems that could account for your symptoms are age- and gender-dependent.
If you're middle-aged or older, your pain could be due to diverticulitis, which is caused by inflammation of small, bubble-like protrusions (diverticuli) on your colon. People in developed countries are more likely to develop diverticulosis and diverticulitis, probably due to a low-fiber diet. Bowel rest and antibiotics are usually needed to deal with diverticulitis; left untreated, diverticulitis can lead to abscess formation in the wall of your colon, bowel obstruction, or even bowel perforation.
Now, if you're a woman in your childbearing years, your symptoms could be due to an ovarian cyst or pelvic inflammatory disease (bacterial infection of your pelvic organs). Ovarian cysts can twist or rupture, which often causes sharp, severe pain. Pelvic inflammatory disease is usually (but not always) accompanied by a vaginal discharge, fever and chills. Ovarian cysts may resolve on their own, but some require surgical management. Pelvic inflammatory disease requires antibiotic therapy.
In any event, it would be wise to see your physician for an evaluation.
I hope you feel better soon.
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by diverticulitis (most probable) or by urinary tract infection/stones. Diverticulitis is very probable if you do suffer from constipations. Such constipations causes large intestine wall weakening and results with diverticles.
It is advisable for you to have fool blood work (if WBC and CRP will be elevated and no changes in urine, this is diverticulitis), urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound.
If diverticulitis will be confirmed, you should have antibiotics therapy and colonoscopy after complete inflammation recovery.
To prevent further diverticulitis you should prevent constipations by fiber rich foods intake, more water intake and increased physical activity.

Hope this will help.