Ingrown toe nail, diagnosed as staph infection, painful, discolored. Applying gentamicin. Contagious? Suggestions?

Hi I had a bad pedicure And developed pain in my great toe. I went to a podiatrist who told me I had a ingrown toenail. He remove the ingrown toenail and did a culture. One week later when I return for follow-up visit he told me that I had a staff infection in my toe. He said since I was on the gentamicin cream and that it looked better that I would be fine. It still hurts a little and is discolored in the corner of my toe nail. Should I be concerned about staph infection Causing other symptoms. Or spreading anything to my family.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013