Good that he is on exclusive breast feeds.
Its better to feed him when ever he demands. But if he demands in less than 2 hrs, it means he is not taking enough feeds. It may be due to various reasons like
- he sleeps off soon after he is put to breast: In such a case, keep stimulating his ears/ foot by gentle strokes so that he does not sleep off.
- breast milk is not adequate: Usually when you feed from one breast, milk should drip from the other breast, indicating adequacy of milk. If you feel milk from one side is not adequate, after feeding from one side, offer him the other side so that he feeds well and then sleeps off.
To optimize your milk output, take adequate fluids, milk, pulses, eggs/other non veg, vegetables, dry fruits and other fresh fruits- a nutritious diet. Take enough rest as early resumption of work will reduce the milk output. Be confident that you have the capability to give him exclusive breast milk till he completes 6 months.
- sit in a calm place with adequate privacy in the most comfortable position and feed him.
- Make sure he is properly attached to the breast i.e. baby should not suck nipples alone, he must take in atleast a part of the areola
into his mouth.
- More you are emotionally attached to your baby when you feed, more will be the milk output.
And after you finish feeding him, do not forget to burp him by putting him on your shoulders and gently patting his back in between the shoulder blades. This will help him to bring the air out which he has taken in while feeding. This also reduces the spitting episodes also.
Also after feeding him, keep him in upright position for atleast half an hour to prevent spitting episodes. Do not rock him immediately after you feed.
Spitting is common in infants because of lax sphincter between the food pipe and esophagus
. As the baby grows, the tone of the sphincter increases and frequency of spitting will reduce automatically.
If you follow the above said measures, spitting can be prevented to a large extent.
Unless baby is not gaining weight adequately, medications are not needed.
is safe. Sucral may not be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful to you.