In mid-thirties, periods only once after breastfeeding. Taken primolut N, prescribed coc pill. Will it work?

I am 37 years old. I had my 1st baby a prem and he is now 15 months old. My menses returned after 4-5 months of breastfeeding and then it disappeared and since then it has not come back. Do I need to be worried considering my age? My Doc asked me to take primolut N which I did and my period show but did not flow - I used a finger to feel myself and I saw a brownish substance which I concluded to be menses on the way but it never flowed and disappeared after that day. Now my Doc is asking me to COC Pill . DO I still have a good chance of conceiving? I love to have multiple birth and I know the implications but am in love with twins. Please advise. Please what do you advise
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Mar 2013
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The only way to assess your fertility, given your age, is to assess your ovarian reserve.
This will test the capacity of your ovaries to produce good quality and good number of eggs.
Given your scanty menstrual flow, it is likely that the ovarian reserve is diminished, which generally happens in women with age.
Ovarian reserve is tested best by measuring the level of a substance called AMH.
ALso, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally on the second day of your cycle ( can be artificially induced with Primolut ) will show the number of egg follicles in both ovaries - antral follicular count.
Lastly, follicular monitoring will tell you if you are ovulating.