In forties, getting periods, stressed. Reason? Will regestrone help?

My wife is of the age of 45 years and for the last one month she is having periods.sometimes get stopped and starts again. Generally it is stated that harmones should not be given. But our doctor has prescribed Regestrone 5 mg table twice a day for minimum 3 days (if does not work then for 21 days). She is a teacher in profession and has hectic schedule in school. Since you are expert, kindly advise, if possible reply in return as my wife has to start regestrone today
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013