In Mirena IUD, having brown blood instead of red, cramping. Is this normal ?

hi doctor my name is AAAAA i am on the marina iud and i am experiencing brown blood instead of red blood, i was cramping for 2 days and after cramping i stated to see the brown spotting it has been accruing for about 3 days already do i count this as my period ? is this normal and yes i am sexually active and i had unprotected sex like 2 weeks ago
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
May 2013
Some amount of menstrual irregularity is common while being on intrauterine devices.
Brown color of the blood indicates collected blood from the endometrium.
Abdominal cramps, bloating sensation etc can also be seen with intrauterine device.
Possibly these will subside soon.
If you are near your expected date of periods, this can be considered as withdrawal bleeding, if not this could be intermenstrual spotting.
If you are having any associated symptoms like white discharge etc, better to get examined once to rule out the possibility of pelvic infection.
If the spotting persists, you can take additional dose of hormones to control it with your doctor's advice.