I haven t started my period. Am I normal?

I m turning 14 in 4 days and I haven t started my period. I m worried something is wrong with me?! I m short but weigh about 87-90 pounds (it varies) Websites and such say you start about 1-2 years after certain signs of development, but I ve had discharge and pubic hair for 4-5 years, breast development about 3 years, and armpit hair about a year. I m pretty active but I ve been eating a lot, I m just not gaining weight. I don t see any signs of starting soon. All my friends have started. Am I normal? Would I be considered a late bloomer? Oh yea my mom was 10 when she started. Please anwer!
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
Hello tuhina;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
The normal time for start of periods can be anywhere from 11-16 yrs and 13 yrs is an average.So at 14 you are still not late.The reason for the delay in some girls can be
-Variation of normal or constitutional delay
-prolonged high level of physical exertion, e.g. from being an athlete
-Systemic disease like Inflammatory bowel disease, chronic renal failure
anorexia nervosa, zinc deficiency.
Hypothalamic defects and diseases like Kallmann syndrome
- hypopituitarism gonadal defects and diseases like Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome ;Ovarian failure
-Other hormone deficiencies and imbalances hypothyroidism
Presently no reason to get worried but if you don't get by another year you need to consult a Gynaec and get investigated and if needed treated.