I have low hemoglobin. How to treat it and prevent it?

I have low hemoglobin... how to treat it and prevent it??? I am a Technical Engineer, aged 27, male. I have been feeling very fatigued and feeling weak since the last few months. I had gone to a doctor who suggested me to get a Complete Blood and Urine test. My hemoglobin levels were low. The doctor suggested me to improve this and suggested to have Fefol Z and Folic Acid tabs. Please tell me the reason why i may have low hemoglobin? And any other precautions I need to take in the future to prevent this...
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jan 2010
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Welcome at HMC

As You explained that your HB level is Low . and Doctors have advised to take iron supplement.

low hemoglobin has different causes Diet and life style is one of main causes, worm infestation , some medical reason Piels , chronic illness ,

First of All check you diet and life style , Stop the intake of coffee and tea because caffeine is the major culprit which stop the iron absorption into blood.
Takes lost fruits and vegetables proper amount of protein egg white , cortege cheese , nuts ,resins .Stop Fast food , fried stuff and go for regular walk .

Medicines You can use Avanla and ashvagand and assperugus recemosus (shtavari) powder.

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Maruti Karale's  Response

Pleasure to see you on HCM.

You have provided very less information so its quite difficult for me to tell the exact reason for you low hemoglobin.

Before starting on any medicine it is very essential to find the exact cause of your low Hb.

Here i will mention most common causes low hemoglobin and essential blood tests required:
1.Iron deficiency anaemia- Nutritional deficiency of iron in diet ,
blood loss due to peptic ulcer,piles
decreased absorption of iron due to inflammatory bowel disease,worm
2.B12 and Folate deficiency.It is more common in strict vegetarians.
3.Sickle cell anaemia -a inherited disorder.
4.Thalesemia- very less possibility in your case.
5.Anaemia of chronic disese like chronic kidney disease,tuberculosis.
6.Hemolytic anaemia
7.Aplastic anaemia
8.Sideroblastic anaemia
9.Other hemoglobulinopathies
10.Paroxysmal noctural hemoglobinuria.

Though the list is exhaustive,you need not to worry about it as you will be tested for suspected cause only.

It is essential to do the following tests:
2.Serum iron study,ferritin and transferrin saturation
3.Serum B12 and folate.
4.stool for parasites and blood.
5.USG- abdomen for organomegaly.
6.Hb eletrophoresis if needed.

It will be more beneficial and diagnosis will be early if you visit to Hematologist.

Hope this information will help you.

Wish you good health.

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ajit Bhat's  Response
Hi!! Welcome to HCM..!!

all others have explain the reasons for low haemoglobin
so m just telling some things to prevent this

1.use green leafy vegetables carrot,beet,frequently dates(khajurs) daily 2-3 pieces(great source of iron)
4.fruits like popaya, pomegranate,will help to increase Hb
5.eating moongfali with gud is also a best source of iron.

Things to be Avoid,
1.avoid eating earthen (mitti),chalk,multani mitti
2.avoid things which help for worm infestation
3.avoid constipation

Have a GOOD Health...!!
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. low hemoglobin level: you haven't told about the reports, so it is unable to determine whether it is low in quality or quantity.
2. it can be simply because of under nutrition, due to any existing disease (worms,ulcer,malabsorption or piles) or symptom of any other disease, because it is not a disease by itself, so reconsider second opinion.
3. moreover absorption of iron requires Vitamin C, and not giving it may/might also have/is resulting in low hemoglobin levels despite on medications.
4. Iron is best absorbed when taken empty you are taking?
5. avoid initially high fibre diet (salad) as it interfere with iron absorption.
6. check with Iron level, as unnecessary intake will result in iron overloading.
7. treat your disease and not the symptom....consult again
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Packriswamy Sambangi's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Hemoglobin is an iron containing protein in the blood that carries oxygen throughout the body. Hemoglobin deficiency results anemia.When a person has a low hemoglobin level , he may feel week,tired, dizzy or cold.
Lack of dietary iron,lack of absorption of iron in the intestine due to intestinal parasite, worms infestation,and bowel irregularities are also known to cause anemia.
It is very important to know the cause behind such drastic reduction of hemoglobin level.
Eat food containing iron, are whole wheat, green leafy vegetable, dates and figs.
But consumption of iron alone will not help.
The low hemoglobin diet must also comprise of adequite protein .Milk and its products , eggs ,organ meat and soy are the best sources.of protein.
When taking iron foods , always take vitamin C along side. This facilitates the absorption of iron.
Vitamin B should also be taken liberally for increasing hemoglobin level.Sources,wheat cereals, fruits and vegetables and milk.
A breathing technique [ pranayama ] should be done everyday.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Low level of haemoglobin in blood is due to malfunctioning of liver which doesn't clean up the toxicants in blood. The toxicants are due to various reason of food, lifestyle, alcohol and smoking which weakens the immune system. Vegetables like spinach and broccoli, sweet potatoes, Pumpkin, Guava, beans, green peas, pulses and all green leafy vegetables are rich in iron, folic acid and B12. You can take these for balancing your blood haemoglobin level.

take care
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Seema Saxena's  Response
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Thanks for your query
When there is any loss of blood from the body, for example if blood comes in urine, stool etc, then there is low hemoglobin.
You should take green leafy vegetables, raisins, pomegranate, spinach, apple etc
You should take this ayurvedic medicines-
Punarvadi Mandoor - 1 tablet 3 times in a day with water.
I hope this will help you.

I shall mention you the various causes for this. Low hemoglobin results when there is an imbalance in the formation and loss of hemoglobin in the body. Decreased formation as compared to increase loss contribute to decreasing the hemoglobin percentage in the body. It could be as a result of poor nutrition, blood loss, presence of worm infestation or presence of other disease like thalasemia, sickle cell anaemia...
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Manish Rijhwani's  Response
Eat lot of leafy vegetables; beet;apples; pomegranates etc
also can take tab.Phosphomin XT one tab once daily for 3 mths
Hi... It would be difficult to predict the cause for the hemoglobin to be low in you. As they may require few more test to find the source for it.

You may have consult your doctor to know the exact cause..

You need to be regular with the treatment given to you. Follow a good and well balanced diet habits. Add dietary substance that are good source of iron in your food.

Use antihelminthic to treat for any worm infestation if any.

Other prevention stratergies would depend on present cause...
  Anonymous's Response

If you have a bleeding in your body, then it could be a possibility. Bleeding disorders is one more possibility. Piles is a cause and menses in females. Also loosing blood in urine. Nutritional defeciency is also a leading factor.

Homeopath Dr. Dhara Shah's  Response
hi welcome to hcm.if you have warm infection,poor nutrition eat the hostel food,any blood loss in body, not too much worry you continue folic acid tab and do regular follow up to your increase your hb by diatery measure like eat spinach,jeggary and peanut having good source of hb and after 4 to 5 month repeat test.