I have heart problem but doctor didn't recognize it

i am a young teen and this happens like 6 times a month: in differnet places and times i was just about to fall asleep when my heart stoped for 1/2 a second and then pumped really hard slow, it took my breath away, i breathed in like a gasp really fast, it was the worst it had ever happened i had a heart murrmue when i was born, but docter recently like 2 weeks ago didnt hear anything, we asked him too...? what is this? if i go to a ? specialist how can they test my heart, stick a needle in it? scary i i started realizing i had it this year, he said i grew out of it at 12, but idk it doesnt hurt, just shocking
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009

From your description it seems that you are having syncopal attacks due a heart block. These are occasional occurrences and a single examination by a primary care doctor is not sufficient to make a diagnosis. Detailed cardiac investigations are needed under the guidance of cardiologist for proper diagnosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Dr. Praveen Tayal
It sounds like you may be having a rhythm problem - not a structural problem. Rhythm problems don't cause murmurs or any other sorts of noises. Go back to your doctor (or another doctor) and ask about wearing a heart monitor for a day or two. Basically you'll have a few electrodes attached to your chest and you'll carry this little monitor around for a day or two. Some monitors continuously record your heart rate and rhythm and can detect abnormalities. Some monitors have a button you push when you feel an episode. When you push the button, it begins recording AND goes back several minutes as well. Without knowing anything about you, it sounds like you may have Atrial Fibrillation - which is fairly common. It's when the top chambers of your heart begin beating faster than they should and become out of synch with the bottom part of your heart. It's typically asymptomatic (90-95% of the time), but you might be in the minority. The list of causes in a young person is long. It's typically quite harmless - just uncomfortable for some people. There are medicines that can help prevent the episodes, but it may just be your diet, caffeine or any number of easy fixes. You should be able to go back to your primary care doctor for this. Good luck.