I have dark skin around my mouth.Is there any treatment to get rid of this?

Hi, I am a female, 28 years old. I have developed a dark area around my mouth since, I do not remember since when. It has been there for few years now, but never got it treated as I thought it might disappear automatically after a healthy diet or so. However, it continued to exist and later when I consulted a dermatologist, I was prescribe to use Clonate Lotion, which did wonders from within a day or two. But, as I progressed using it, I only realized that the moment I stop using, the condition just worsens and my skin gets darker too. Can you please suggest me on this?
Asked On : Sat, 1 May 2010