I have a extended stomach for two weeks

ihave a extented stomach for two weeks i look like im nine months pregnet. What do you think? Iam 52 year old female. I live in deerfieldbeach fl.
Asked On : Thu, 3 Mar 2011
Homeopath 's  Response
first of all you need to have a ultrasound taken for your whole abdomen,the resons can be narrow down then.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Jasvinder Singh's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic. The first possibility for any extended stomach or stomach bloating is gastritis. However there can be other causes of it as well like gastroparesis, lactose intolerance, fructose intolerance, eating fibrous foods, eating legumes or beans, abdominal masses etc.

Bloating as a result of over eating will go away once your body digests the food. It could be of concern if bloating is accompanied by symptoms of abdominal pain which gets worse, change in stool habit like constipation or diarrhea, abdominal lump, periods irregularity or heavy bleeding etc.

For gastritis, elevation of the upper body at night is recommended as this decreases reflux of acid from the stomach. Diet modification is essential - avoid the substances that increase your symptoms. You could take some over the counter antacids - approximately one hour after meals or just before the symptoms of reflux begin after a meal. You need to talk to your doctor about proton pump inhibitors and other prescription medications for GERD.

Hope it helps you. Regards.