I feel lost and tired all the time

I am feeling lost and worried, tired all the time after losing my sister two weeks ago - what may you suggest for me? I have two children and a Job to maintain and finding it all overwhelming
Asked On : Thu, 14 Apr 2011
When the death is sudden, it is all the more difficult to cope with the loss.

Maybe speaking to others around you is not working out for you. But you can certainly unburden yourself here. I am here to help you as a professional, so you need not feel any guilt for discussing your feelings on this forum.

In order to help me understand better, can you please give me some more information...
1. Were you very close to your sister?
2. Are you feeling any guilt related to your sister?
3. What exactly are you feeling worried about?
4. How is your appetite? Are you sleeping well?
5. Do you ever feel as if you cannot take this anymore?
6. Have you, in the past, felt like this?

Please write back and we will both try and work through this difficult time.

Dr. Saifuddin Kharawala

You are clearly going through a difficult time. The loss of a near one is always a difficult thing to come to terms with. How old was your sister? Was the death sudden and unexpected?

The important thing for you now is to accept what has happened. Yes, you will feel pain and a sense of loss. That is ok. It is understandable. Don't fight those feelings. Accept them for what they are and try to move on with life.

There are two things you need to do. One is to speak with some other family member (preferably) or a close friend who understood your relationship with your sister. Just speak with them and talk about your feelings regarding your sister. It will help you unburden yourself. Also, you need to maintain focus on your current priorities which you are already aware of. Focus on your children and your job. When you are dealing with your children, think only about them and resist the unhappy thoughts/feelings that keep coming. It will be difficult, but life must go on. Remember - this too shall pass.

Finally, it would help if you gave some more details about what you are going through. A certain amount of grief and mourning is normal, but if it is very severe then you may need professional help.

Take care, and I hope you feel better.

Dr. Saifuddin Kharawala