I assume for inflamation. same type of antibiotic that soon after a previous usage. Is that true ?

My friend was prescribed an anitbiotic just over 2 weeks ago for what was diagnosed as a sinus infection. She went back in two days ago for a severe ear infection that was causing her great pain. They prescribed her a different type of antibiotic and pain killers. Today she went in again because the pain has not decreased, in fact it may be worse. She was taken off the antibiotic she was given 2 days ago and prescribed the same type of antibiotic she was given 2 weeks ago and some steriods, I assume for inflamation. She had learned during a pharmacology class in college that it was ineffective to use the same type of antibiotic that soon after a previous usage. Is that true ? Should she not have been prescribed the same type of antibiotic again 2 weeks after she just took a round of it ?
Asked On : Fri, 27 Aug 2010