I am suffering from severe tonsillitis and taken the treatment for long

20year old female. I had been to the doctor (around mid-last year) to treat for swollen tonsils for the first time, and i was given an injection immediately since they were swollen really bad. It carried the swelling and the stuff at the back of my throat down significantly by the next day. However, about a little over a week or so later, i had an allergic reaction (i got a rash that covered my whole body and lasted over a month, it worked it s way from my face to toes during that time. Red and itching.) I only considered it may have been from the medication this year, when my tonsils acted up again, and i was prescribed antibiotics (i don t recall the name sighs...) and about 4days later the same rash appeared, but not nearly as bad as last year and it didn t last for very long either. I was wondering and i am a bit bothered at the possibility; could i be allergic to penicillin?? If so what steps should i take. And is it possible the reactions could have been from two very different causes? Because the time of treatment and reaction-times differed by at least a week (or is it linked to the dose i was given?) I m also aware of the fact that the first treatment was administered intramuscular and the second oral , and that could be related to the onset of rash. Advice needed... Thanks in advance for any information.
Asked On : Tue, 31 May 2011