I am addicted to tobacco. How to get rid of it ?

sir, i am falling in a bad habit of tambacoo chewing how i can remove it
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011
Its a good thing that you want to stop this habit. The main factor which will let you successfully quit is your own will. Chewing non cancer causing substances like chewing gum can also help. In severe cases nicotine containing chewing gum may be helpful but in early stages it may not be neccessary.

Take Care and All the Best.

Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Hi Sanjeev,

Tobacco is one of the most addictive substances known to man. Once you are addicted to smoking/chewing tobacco, it no longer remains a habit, but becomes a disease (research has shown changes in brain after addiction and these changes are not under control of the preson's will power).

The tricky part is not to quit tobacco chewing, but to remain abstinent after that. There are very effective medicines available to reduce the urge or crave, which people find hard to resist. Consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and personalized management. All the best.