Hypothyroidism, concerned about weight gain, loss of hair and infertility. Are they common symptoms? Medicines required?

I am a 25 year old female and have always been completely healthy. My mother has hyperthyroidism , and the only problem I ever had was when I was 21 I have depression for a year. I just went to the doctors and the doctor said my lab results indicated hypothyroidism , with a TSH level of 4.8. I am very concerned now about gaining weight in the future, loss of hair or being infertile. How prevalent are these symptoms of hypothyroidism? Will I have to take medicine for the rest of my life, or can this condition go away? Thanks!
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012