Hypertensive, burning sensation in feet. Taking atenolol, amlodipine. Reason?

My father is 59 years old, hypertensive, takes atenolol , amlodipine , isosorbide dinitrate daily. He does not smoke nor drink. Recently he has this burning sensation in one feet, usually the bigger toe . It goes away when he walks or puts his feet in cold water. Family history is negative for diabetes and there are no symptoms of diabetes. Last time he had it checked about 3 years ago. He also has watery diarrhea often which doesn t go away with metronidazole or any anitbiotic. What could be the reason? Please help!
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013
If there is no history of injury or if there is no history of any physical irritation like sunburn or chemical burn ,then most likely causes for burning sensation in big toe are
Local fungal infection
Peripheral artery diseaseĀ 
Peripheral nerve compression or nerve trauma
Diabetic neuropathy etc.
I would recommend an examination and investigation by a physician first and may be a neurologist later on.