Hypertension, high cholesterol. Is the BP medication needed if the blood pressure levels are normal?

My husband is 49 years old, his recent blood pressure has been 150/90 blood pressure. For the first time he is prescribed medicine which the doctor asked him to take for ten days and then go back to him. He also has mild increase in cholesterol for which again another medication is given. My question is, will he be required to continue the BP medicine or if his BP shows to be normal, can he discontinue the medicines.
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013