How to stop the habit of chewing tobacco?

My brother in law consumes Pan Parag since over 15 years. is there any treatment that we can stop this habit ?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Feb 2010
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for sharing your concern,

15 years is very long its the time to stop this harmful habbit...

Chewing tobaco for long time can lead to oral cancer...though its very difficult to quit in 1 day....

Gradually number of intake has to be reduced...

As a substitution you can take sugar free chewing gum..or tobaco tablets you can take..that will give the same effect of tobaco but your mouth will get relief...

Take plenty of fruits as these contains antioxidant....

Maintain oral hygiene properly...

Hope this will help...

Take care...

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Chewing gutka is one of the most common cause of having cancer.
yes its difficult to stop the habbit but you can do following:-
1.try to gradually decrease the number of times you are chewing for instance reduce one per week
2.try some sugar free chewing gums for a few times
3.driks lots of water and fruit juices ,that would clean your system of the toxins
4.You can switch over to swoaph or Chewing Gum or go in for something like milan supari or passpass and later reduce the intake of this too.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
  Anonymous's Response

Try for de-addiction counselling and support. Or try this link for finding someoneto help you.

Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Aashish mathesul's  Response
u can use nicotine tablets first.and slowly stop the habit.first u have to decide your future.and realise what you do today is shaping your more about oral and tongue cancer on net.the life on earth is no fantasy dont be in the utopia,that i am the most luckiest person to break all rules,and still enjoy health and joy throughout life.sometime,or the other,your body will start showing you,the manner in which you treated it make up your mind to be healthy.most of the times we take health for granted,unless some majo disease doesnt comr up.but latter all the effort takes so decide your future today.sow good to reap good.self realisation is must.