How long can I go without taking antibiotics and the bacteria become active ?

I'm a 22 year old, male, and I was currently diagnosed with an episode of diverticulitis . I have been taking Ciprofloxacin and Flagyl for the infection, and I currently feel good. I have recently experienced the bad side effects of the medications: nausea , and most recently joint pain and back pain . I donâ??t know which one is the cause of the side effects. I went to the doctor today morning to complain about nausea that did not let me sleep the night before. I told him I have been taking it for three days, and he told me how my stools were. I told him that I had one normal stool, and he recommended that I stop taking the antibiotics . Today I disobeyed him and continued to take the antibiotics, and thatâ??s when I started to feel the joint pain and the back pain. It has been four days now and I am scared to stop taking it before the time is up, due to the recurrence of a stronger infection (but the doctor told me to stop). What should I do? Should I continue and risk more serious side effects? Or should I stop taking them (I see the doctor again in two days and this is the fourth day Ive been taking the medications). How long can I go without taking antibiotics and the bacteria become active (if they havenâ??t been eliminated from my body)? Is there mode of treatment for me if a stronger infection were to occur?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jun 2010