Hit on the front of shin causing cut. Days later have darker bruising, tightness due to swelling, tenderness. Normal?

I tripped going down the stairs 4 days ago and fell down about 6 stairs. I hit the front of my shin really hard, along with my knee and a few toes. In the moment and that night it hurt just to touch gently. The shin was very swollen with an open cut. I iced, bandaged and elevated and it felt some what better the next day. Yesterday though, the swelling seemed to be reducing on the shin, but moving to the ankle with some bruising. Today, the swelling below the ankle bone has inflamed flush to the bump of bone on both sides and the bruising is getting darker. I have full range of motion in both ankle and leg, although somewhat tight due to swelling. It is tender, but no sharp pain. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013