Herniated disc and low fat bone marrow in the MRI report. Have low back pain. Bone marrow biopsy suggested. Why?

My Son in law had a MRI for possible back injury which they did discover a disc that is herniated but they also discovered that he has abnormally low fat bone marrow and they are telling him that his bone marrow is like a very young child s and he is 32 yrs. old. So now his primary physician is referring him to see a Oncologist and to have a bone marrow biopsy done but is not explaining anything!! This is a person that hates, hates going to the Doctor s and all that that brings with it so he is already balking on going for the biopsy. What does this all mean? Why would his Doctor refer him to an Oncologist but not explain more? His mind is going to get the best of him on this and I just can not believe that they wouldn t have said something. Especially because where we live it is a two hour drive to go see an Oncologist and to go to a hospital that can do the bone marrow biopsy!!! Please help this young father to not be his own worse enemy
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013