Heavy periods, weakness, want to sleep. How many birth control pills do I take to make my period stop?

I ve had my period for 10 days now. It s extremely heavy. I m Averaging about 10 pads and 5 tampons a day. I feel weak and all I want to do is sleep. I don t have insurance anymore so I don t want to go to the hospital or doctors office. Im about to go pick up my birth control at the pharmacy right now. My question is how many birth control pills do I take a day to get my period to stop?
Asked On : Wed, 15 Aug 2012
Hello, and i hope I can help you today.

Birth control pills can certainly help to stop your period. The best way to have them kick in the fastest is to take three pills per day for the first two days, then two pills per day for another two days, and then one pill a day for the rest of the pack.

I am concerned about your weakness though, as you may have lost a lot of blood during this time. I advise you to also buy an iron supplement and take the iron pills two to three times daily, as most women who have heavy periods are anemic.

If your bleeding continues to be this heavy after 2-4 days on the pills and/or you experience shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness when you stand up or severe weakness, I recommend you go to the emergency room because if your blood count is critically low you may need a blood transfusion.

I sincerely hope this pill regimen helps your bleeding and i encourage you to see a gynecologist for treatment whiner it is possible, and please do not hesitate to go to the ER for severe symptoms.

Best wishes, Dr. Brown