Heart beat fast while resting, difficulty in breathing, causes me to couch. What's wrong ?

For the past few months I have noticed when I am resting that my heart with beat fast for a few beats then it feels as though it stops completely, when this happens I feel as though I can not breathe. Then it is as though it starts back and I have to take a deep inhale of breath, and sometimes it causes me to couch, what s wrong and what do I need to do?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear friend
thanks for sharing your problem,
what is your age? do you have diabetes, hypertension, history of angina, thyroid disorder or history of valve disease? does this happens at rest only and not on exertion? did you ever get loss of consciousness/ blackout during these attacks?
what i can get from your history is that you have palpitation and it can be a rhythm disorder in all probability (a rhythm which is not normal in site of origin and has different rate than normal). if it occurs daily and lasts for few minutes, we can get a 24 hours holter monitoring done if it is for a longer duration you can get an ECG during the episode. so that we can pick up the type of rhythm you have during the attacks. but all these are mere speculations , first of all we need to get you examined by your physician and get all the answers asked above.
so see your cardiologist and revert back to us for more information
sincerely