Headache, swollen head, burning and itching on the scalp post long hours in the sun. What could be the reason?

my bf & I went camping this weekend, he got sunburned but i think it affected his head pretty bad. SYMPTONS: his head burned,itched then hurt through the weekend it hurt more times than others this morning around 4am he had a really bad headache & he could not sleep he poured water on his head to see if it would help,it didnt 2 hours passed & i could tell his head was swelling up by about 4 hrs it was really swollen!!! why??should he go to the hospital?
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012