Headache, feeling of face dropping. Do I ring an ambulance?

hi my mums had these really bad headaches for the past 2 weeks now and they are really bad, she was ok 2day but she could still feel it abit there then earlier tonight it suddenly came back and she tried medication but it didnt work, then she tried sleeping but that didnt work and she work work saying 1 side of her face feels like its dropped even though it hasnt, do i ring an ambulance as she worrying me.
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

It is important to make a confirmed diagnosis in your mother's case, so as to start her on the correct treatment.

This would require an evaluation by a neurologist and MRI scan of the brain.

As of now, you can give her medications such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets for pain relief. Only if the headache is persisting or if she develops weakness of face, arm or leg, then, you should take her to Emergency room.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: