Headache, blisters on head and neck. Taking Valtrex. Does it take time for medicine to work?

I have had a severe headache and broke out in blisters on my head, neck, face and nose . I went to my GP last Thursday and she dx me with herpes simples 1. I have been taking Valtrex 3 times a day since Thursday night. This morning I woke to more burning and more blisters on my face. Does it take awhile for the Valtrex to work or should I be concerned that it is something else and go to the ER? My eyes are beginning to itch but no blisters on them yet.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012