Having several small sized lump causing pain. Tests report normal. What could it be?

Hello, I am a 51 year old female with several small pea-sized (or less) tender, pain-causing lumps in my left side, left armpit, left breast and bra line. The first of these lumps appeared about five years ago on my left side about 4-5 inches below my armpit. It was not visible but I could feel its presence when I lowered my arm. I was being physically active one day and suddenly it was gone. Then within days I began getting pains that radiated down my left side, toward my front and back, and also up into and down the underside of my left arm. These pains were dull and aching mostly, but shooting and burning sometimes, and they lasted for months. The pain bothers me periodically for months at a time then gradually subsides. Then recurs and intensifies again. Very weird. I have had doctors palpate them successfully and have had several mammograms and diagnostic ultrasounds done on them over the years which have shown nothing. I am worried about cancer of course, but my doctor is not. I don t know what I should do next, if anything. My doctor has suggested having one removed and biopsied, but I am fearful of surgical infections and don t want to do that unless I have to. Could I have a lymph or nerve issue? Could these lumps be parasite cysts? I am living in Texas, having not traveled outside the state since way before these lumps initially showed up. I am post menopausal since 42 so it couldn t be hormones. Besides, I know what fibroid lumps and pains feel like and these are not them. I m just looking for guidance here, or ideas as to what this could be. I have searched and searched on the Internet for people with similar signs and symptoms with little luck. I don t feel that I m in any danger. After years of this, I don t think it s breast cancer anymore. But could it be some other form of cancer? Lymph cancer? I don t have swollen lymph nodes in my armpits or neck or anywhere else. My lab work is all normal. I have no other symptoms beside pain really. But I can t wear a bra because of the tender lumps and the pain sometimes is so bad I have to take OTC pain meds and use heating pads constantly for relief. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them. Thank you, Kate.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jun 2012