Having medication for on and off fever, rashes, antibiotics for throat infection. Why fever not going?

My son has a fever and rash . His rash started yesterday morning, but the fever started Monday night. His fever has peaked at 40.7 two days ago and has been more moderate since then. Advil , Tylenol , homeopathic medicines, tepid compresses wouldn t take the fever away. He has started coughing like he s drowning, but just every now and then while he sleeps. He s already on antibiotics for a throat infection and the doctor heard fluid in his bronciol tubes . I don t understand why his fever will go away (without meds) for 8-10 hours and then it spikes again...especially since he s already on antibiotics.
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012