Having floating bone in ankle, swollen. Pain while climbing stairs, lifting heavy objects. Solution?

Hi there, I have been informed by my Doctor that I have a 5 mil by 3 mil floating bone in my ankle, I have been suffering science the age of 14 due to a bad sprain . About 4 weeks ago I slipped and badly sprained it again after having an X-ray the hospital informed my doctor about this floating bone. They believe it is from the first sprain I suffered. My Doctor tells me that I could have surgery but he believes I am to young and it may cause worse damage than the bone itself in years to come. However my doctor told me if I was an athlete he would send me for surgery straight away, what is the difference between me and an athlete. I find it seems to be causing me a lot of pain when walking on it up stairs and having to carry heavy objects at work, I am told ill be receiving a letter from an ankle specialist to assess my ankle as it is still swollen, the swelling is hard and doesn t appear to be the normal swelling you would get where you can press on the skin and sinks. I am feeling confused about the whole situation. Could you please help me? Thank you, Tom.
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013