Having brown discharge. Pregnancy? Should I consult a doctor?

I started what I thought was my period 2 and a half weeks ago, the first day was all brown discharge and then the second day I had what looked like a normal period for a few hours then it went back to the brown discharge. This has been going on for 2 and a half weeks. Some days it is very thick, and some days it looks just like a normal period except for the fact that it is completely brown. it isn't too heavy of a flow but it is consistent and has been going on everyday since it started. I don't feel sick, and I haven't had cramps or pain at all. I took an at home pregnancy test because i was worried I might have been spotting but it came back negative. I do typically get brown discharge after my periods, which I know is normal, I am just concerned that it has been going on for almost 3 weeks. Is this normal, and what are the possibilities of what it could be? I plan on seeing my doctor sometime this week I would just like to know what could be going on! I am also not on birth control or anything, and I am sexually active, also I am 21 years old.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013