Have swollen tonsils covered with white spots. Throat culture showed strep. Medication?

My 18 year old daughter developed swollen tonsils covered with white spots. The student health dept. gave her an Rx for penicillin and she just finished a 10 day course. Her rapid strp test was negative but a throat culture revealed strep . She did not have a fever, sore throat or swollen glands when the spots presented. Her tonsils are still very swollen, but not painful and now the white spots are back. Any thoughts on her next course of therapy. Was the penicillin the wrong drug of choice?.
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012