Have swollen feet and ankles. Have Lung cancer. Are they signs of cancer progressing?

My dad is in stage IV lung cancer and now has swelling of his feet and ankles. I live five hours away and try to visit each weekend. Each week I see a decline of his health. He started his second cycle of Topotecan this week. His counts last week were 1300. They agreed to give him chemo this week and a blood transfusion on Monday next week. I live so far away and I want to be there as much as I can. His doctor gave him 3-6 months to live a month ago. He is extremely tired already. I am really scared of what is to come, but I know its the progression that is commonly seen. When will I know when he is in his last days? I know that sounds awful but I want to be there for my mom. Is his swelling a sign that things are progressing?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013