Have sore throat, cough, chest congestion and white spot on tonsils. Throat culture negative. Cure?

Hi! I ve had a sore throat (which usually is worse in the morning), a recently developed cough (about 3 days old now), chest congestion, and white spots on my tonsils. In all, I ve had this virus, or whatever it is, for a week. I had a double throat culture , one where we got the instant result, and the other that was left for 24 hours. Both came out negative. Yesterday, some of the tonsiliths (I believe they re called) came out. Today, on day seven, I have an itchy throat and an often uncontrollable cough. When should this supposed virus end? Thanks for the help.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013