Have hospitalised with fever, chills, petechiae on lips, taking prednisone, have low platelet. Have polycythemia, taking hydroxyurea

My father-in-law was diagnosed with polycythemia a few years ago, and was taking hydroxyurea for it. He has been hospitalized for the past few weeks because of high fever and chills and being really weak. The doctors have done a complete blood test as well as a bone marrow test and haven't been able to find anything abnormal except for the fact that now he has low platelet counts! I can't find anything that mentions both of these in the same patient.
I am a bit concerned because he has also developed very small petechiae on his lips which he's taking some prednisone for it now.
Thanks for your help
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013