Have dark spots on both cheeks after pregnancy

Hi, I presently realize that two dark spots have appeared on either side of my cheeks and a dark mark like a mustache has also appeared, and these really showed up after months of giving birth to my baby. My baby is now 2 years will be 3 in July of this year and none of it is going away. I am not sure what to use to get rid of these dark marks. Any help in recommending something effective would be appreciated. Prabha(name changed)
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jan 2010

i have dark spot on my both cheeks i am worried about it. this problem i have  after birth of my daughter. now she is 5 1/2 year. starting my problem i ignoured but its now visible what i do. plz sugesst me 

The problem you are referring to is Melasma. The changes are caused by hormonal changes during pregnancy, which stimulate a temporary increase in your body's production of melanin, the natural substance that gives color to hair, skin, and eyes.The areas of increased pigmentation will probably fade within a few months or a year after delivery in some cases they fade much slower. there are some creams which help to hasten recovery like trichloroacetic acid, azelaic acid, glycolic acid etc . skin lightening agents like hydroquinones, Sunscreens, especially those which are mineral based, such as zinc and titanium and also Laser skin rejuvenation. All these treatments need to be given after physical examination so we would suggest you to consult a dermatologist for the same