Have bleeding after intercourse, cramps, nausea, had regular periods. Have pain after intercourse. Pregnant?

Me and my partner had intercourse and I started my period on the 9th which is a couple days later than I was supposed to and it was extremely heavy. I stopped and then we had intercourse and I bleed everywhere and now I'm bleeding but not like my period and I've been having bad cramps and getting seriously nauseous. Could I be pregnant? We have been trying and after everytime we have intercourse it burns me. And I know me and my parter don't have any kind of infections.
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Bleeding and pain after intercourse needs to be investigated.
Bleeding after intercourse can be due to one of the following causes:
1. Cervical erosion
2. Cervical inflammation and infections
3. Cervical growths- benign or malignant
4. Endometrial growth
5. Endometrial polyp, fibroid, etc

You need to consult your gynecologist for clinical examination, relevant investigations and management.

If you want to confirm or rule out pregnancy, you need to take up pregnancy test.
Presence of menstrual bleeding rules out pregnancy.
Amenorrhea (Absence of menstruation) is the first symptom of pregnancy.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal