Have Osteoarthritis of neck and spine and Fibromyalgia. Taking Solpadol and Amitriptyline. Side effects?

hi i have osteoarthritis of neck and spine and also fibromyalgea i have been on solpadol 500mg for 3 years and they do work for the pain along with amptriptyline although i have been prescribed 40mg per night i have only taken 5 mg 1/2 a tablet and they just take the edge off of my back pain . what are the dangers of taking these long term regards phil makin
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013

Thanks for your query

Solapadol contains paracetamol+codiene
Long term side effects of codiene can be Respiratory depression and can cause breathlessness, slow heart rate and low B.P. It can also cause sexual dysfunction, chronic constipation ,constant state of agitation or confusion, hallucinations,and inability to drive.
Paracetamol can cause liver problems, and gastritis(stomach Problems)

On The other hand Amitryptiline cause nervousness, insomnia, and anxiety in some patients because it can stimulate the nervous system. It can also cause constipation, Urinary Retention and increase eye pressure.
Since you are already taking amitryptilline in low dose the chances of side effects due to this are less.

I hope this will help u

Best wishes
Dr A S Chhabra

General & Family Physician Dr. Nirmala P's  Response
Solpadol is a combination of codiene & paracetamol. Both are analgesics belonging to different groups. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant given in conditions like depression. But Amitriptyline is also given to reduce the chronic pain in fibromyalgia. It produces various mild side effects like sedation, dryness of mouth, blurring of vision, constipation, weight gain & serious side effects like fits, fall in BP & increased heart rate.
Codeine is methyl morphine. Gets converted to morphine in the body. But it has less addiction liability. Main side effects are constipation, sedation & respiratory depression. Paracetamol is usually well tolerated. side effects are nausea & gastritis. Heavy dose affects kidney & liver.
When given together, Amitriptyline increases the plasma levels of paracetamol resulting in its toxicity.