Have Hashimoto's disease, dark patch on roof of mouth. Cancer?

I am a twenty-one year old female, smoker about 1-1.5 packs a day, do not consume alcohol. I do have Hashimotos Disease, and some dental issues such as abscess in the past. I developed a dark red circular patch on the roof of my mouth through the course of a week and after gargling salt water and possible trauma by touching it with my tongue , it has increased in size to slightly smaller than a dime. I am petrified that it may be oral cancer , as my dentist said he wants to refer me to an Oral Surgeon. There is no white present on the spot, and the dentist commented that the tissue (bone) on the roof of my mouth feels slightly softer. Does this signify cancer?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Sep 2012