Has cold, ear bleeding and pain. Prescribed medicine for cold. Is this normal?

Hi Doc, My friend was got a cold , really bad cold until his ear bleeding all the time. He was in so much pain and hearing impaired. He can t move or stand up properly. He went to the doctor last week, the doctor said that his ear infected caused of his cold and just give him some medicines. But last night, his ear bleeding again. What really happen with him? and what should he do to reduce the pain and bleeding? is it dangerous or it just normal in some case?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013