Had vasectomy. Lump on testicle, swelling. Sperm production will return in?

My husband had a vr after 11 years, at time of op they found fluid which surgeon said was what he was looking for whatever that meant (they dont offer the checking for sperm at time of op where he had it done). The op was longer than normal as he took longer to find one tube so my husband had alot more pulled around than perhaps some. Surgeon confirmed both sides connected and all seemed v positive. Husband is 48 I am 33, both of us have had children. He had the 6 wk and 3 mth SA both zero. My husband has felt a lump above one testicle since the operation and went to see the surgeon who said because of where the tube had to be connected he will always have it but the strange thing is it has been slowly going down so we are now wondering whether this needs to go down and maybe there is still swelling etc. The surgeon we used although has been doing vasectomies for over 20 years and had full training had only performed 10 via microscope proceedure 8 of those were successful by 3 mths (but all were only up to 5 years since original op) so to him he has now said there is no point in having any more samples. We don t like the way we have been treated after the op, and feel we are being compared to the other people in his limited history with this procedure but have not found 1 article on the net that says if after 3 mths give up! I have read lots and lots and there doesnt seem to be a clear opinion of how long it takes to return, alot say if after 10 years 79% will see sperm return within a year but we are at a loss about our situation and if this is realistic (it is now 4 months since op). The other thing I cannot find out about is if nothing returns within a certain time period are there any ways to find out why otherwise we feel we shall never know what happened or if there is anything that can be done before giving up.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013