Had surgery for kidney stones. Getting severe pain. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

I ve had kidney stones three times in six years. All stones were 2mm or smaller and caused severe pain . I use the va and had the surgery two of the three times. The last surgery was jul 2011. Starting march I started getting severe pain again. I am told its probably not the stones that hurt cause 2 mm stones don t hurt. What else could it be? Every time I have had pain I ve had small stones. Surgery relieves the pain for awhile but i still have never passed a stone. They stay in my kindness. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?
Asked On : Tue, 24 Apr 2012