Had sex, pregnant. How can i know the date of conceiving?

Hi on march 19 2012 I had sex I can't remember my last period for sure but it either was the end of march or April 1st - April 4th one of those days on march 20 I took a plan B I received my period in the beginning of April (1 or on the 4) in may I was late I took a pregnancy test it came out positive may 8th I went for a sonogram and was too soon. When I went to the doctor he gave me a due date of jan 10th 2013 and when I went to the ultrasound they gave me jan 12 my question is when did I concieved? And was my due date accurate
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Mar 2013
thanks for your query.
Firstly, without knowing the exact date of your last menstrual period, it is difficult to say when you actually conceived.
Also, the 2 dates given to you are only 2 days apart, and even first trimester sonograms have an error margin of one week.
Meanwhile, you have not mentioned the date of the sonogram, or the exact weeks reported in that scan.
Based on the sketchy dates provided, it is very difficult to say when you conceived.
Please get back with the exact details required.

General & Family Physician Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib's  Response
Welcome to the HCM

You had sex on 19th march and took post coital contraceptive pills in the first 24 hours after having sex. It is the time when the post coital contraceptive pills are effective with a success rate of more than 95%. You had your cycles in start of April which means you were not pregnant upto that time. hopefully you didn't had sex again which means there should be no pregnancy. but if you had sex after the 4th April then the date of conception is the same as that of having sex but if you have not had any sexual encounter after the 4th of April then it is more obvious that the test report was false positive.

I would suggest you to confirm the pregnancy by doing a blood test "beta HCG levels" before going for any further work up.

General & Family Physician Dr. Prabhakar 's  Response
Thanks for the query. The accurate estimation of due date done by ultrasound. Usually due date will vary on either side of 7days, means you may deliver one week prior to the due date or one week after the due date. Dont worry about due date. It all depend on the labour pain and cervical dilatation during labour.
Thank you